Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hoosiers Cabinets

Last year I was watching Craigslist for furniture and for fun liked to check into the antique listings to see what was out there and for what kind of price. I came across a Hoosier...that was actually a Sellers...but are commonly know as Hoosiers. Wow it was pricey! I didn't even talk to my husband about it.

A couple weeks later I was looking on Craigslist again and looking through the antiques when I came across the same Hoosier (Sellers) only this time the price was almost cut in half. On a whim, I called my husband who was in the city and asked him if he would go by and look at it. He did and this is what he came home with.
A beautiful old Sellers Kitchen Cabinet.

It really is a unique kitchen piece. This is where the farm wife of days gone by did all her mixing up, kneading, and storing. Daily, I think of a happy farm wife sifting the flour, kneading bread and taking pride in having her kitchen space neat and in order.

Check out the insides.
The flour sifter still works. The sifter is inside the flour bin and just needs to be attached to the bottom of the bin with some, yet to be found, wing nuts. I love how the cupboard doors have shelves for spices and whatnot. On the upper left door there is a wire for placing a cook book behind...it holds the cookbook open in place and another shelf for storing small containers or small items.

I love love love! the bottom cupboard door. When opened the bottom shelf pulls out with the door. There is a wire basket attached to the bottom of the door along with a cool wood shelf along the top of the door. The bottom drawer is metal is was made to be a bread drawer.

I've looked around on the internet for some of the original glass wear that went or could be purchased with a Hoosier. There is some beautiful stuff out there...hanging sugar bowls, small spice jars, coffee and tea canisters. Most of it is spendy though and I'm so thrilled with the Hoosier I don't mind watching thrift stores and rummage sales for neat looking jars.

Right now my Hoosier is housing cookbooks and two large containers of zinnia seeds I saved from my garden last year. Someday though I'd like to have it in my kitchen set up as part of my baking space. The only thing I plan to add is a small hook at the top of one side to hang my aprons on.

Hoosiers are quite the rage with some and there is a neat Flicker Group dedicated to The Hoosier Cabinet and there are some neat photos. The photos are fun to look through if your a Hoosier fan.

For now though I leave you with this sweet, vintage picture.

14 comments:

  1. Your hoosier cabinet is gorgeous. I used to have a much smaller one that was painted white that I sold just recently. If mine had looked like yours, I would've kept it.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely cabinet. I don't think I would passed it up, either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hoosier is beautiful! I know you are so proud of it. I have never seen one like it. Blessings jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! that's sooo nice! I always wanted one but none were available around here, so my husband made one for me. Of course it doesn't have all the things insides like the real thing. You might look at mine on my blog under the label, "Making New Like the Old."

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just purchased a Seller's cabinet very similar to yours at a local antique show. We have always wanted one and are so happy with our find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one that looks just like this that my grandmother bought in 1918. It still has the Good house keeping seal of approval on it. My Dad took it apart piece by piece and cleaned it, all original hardware still in place. Any idea on the value of yous?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the discriptions! I have a Sellers similar to this one. I didn't know that the bottom section was supposed to pull out with the door. Mine has shifted and no longer holds it's original shape and is difficult to pull out by hand. The "shelf" on the top of that door is also new to me. I have never seen it in any photos I've come across.

    I grew up watching my mother using our Sellers and now it is fully functional in my home. I had a local man make me a companion cabinet with the same style that I dressed up using replacement hardware. I love my Sellers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am now enjoying my cabinet in my sewing room. I've had it since the early 70's and now its time to regretfully sell it to remodel my sewing space. I also have a National Biscuit Company bakers rack that is going as well. I know I will miss them, but its time to move on I guess. I am in Boise, Idaho if any one is interested.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cabinet looks just like mine, I bought mine from an antique shop. I use mine to store my old bowls and other old stuff that I collect. I also purchased a butlers cabinet just love all my old stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the exact same hoosier but it is a Hoosier not Sellers. It has the flour sifter as well. Had some art work painted on it. Just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do you know an antique kitchen cabinet is a Sellers or a Hoosier? Are there any other brands out there as I have an antique kitchen cabinet and do not who made it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Richard Sullivan at AOL.com is who I am

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know because this one has a metal plate right above the roll door that says "Sellers". I think they are commonly referred to as Hoosiers because Hoosier cabinet was the first one to come out with them. Don't quote me on that but I read that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this identical cabinet...exactly...have been looking for someone to show this one...I so love my cabinet...was a gift from my Mother. In my kitchen with food, dishes, and kitchen things ! <3

    ReplyDelete